MONDAY, May 11
MONDAY, May 11, 4pm EDT /UTC -04 on ZOOM
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/91352966296
Meeting ID: 913 5296 6296
In a recent webinar “Return to Church?” about when and how to return to in-person physical gatherings for worship, we recognized a desire on the part of participants to talk about this question (and emerging questions in this time of pandemic) theologically versus only practically. We want to respond to this need by providing an opportunity for people to share in theological conversation. You are invited to engage MCC’s Core Values (Inclusion, Community, Justice, and Spiritual Transformation) and ask questions about how these values might affect our decision-making about when/how to return to physical gatherings. We plan on talking together and using break out rooms for small group conversations. Participate at your comfort level.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/91352966296
TUESDAY, May 12
9pm GMT / 5pm EDT
Weekly, this will be a time of building hope, cultivating joy, connecting with one another, and with God. Led by Rev. Elder Hector Gutierrez and Revs. Cathy Alexander, Lauren Bennett & Wanda Floyd, and, our newest team member, Rebecca Wilson!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 248 584 328
The Change Cycle™ How People Can Survive and Thrive in Organizational Change with Rev. Elder Lillie Brock – May 12, 2020
12am UTC / 8pm EDT (UTC-04)
Lillie is Co-Founder of The Change Cycle – a fabulous science-based and user-friendly model that helps humans cope with change – at work, at home, and in life!
With the many changes Covid-19 has brought into our worlds, Lillie is excited to translate the sciences of physiology, physics, and applied psychology into easy-to-understand methods to help us notice and navigate the impacts that Covid-19 restrictions have brought into our lives. If you’d like to learn more about The Change Cycle, go to www.ChangeCycle.com.
On Tuesday evening, please join us in the Sanctuary Online Zoom Room, simply by going to www.SanctuaryOnline.live 5-10 minutes prior to the top of the hour. If you’d like to let us know you’ll be attending, and be sure to get a seat, please email us at [email protected]. We are incredibly excited to welcome you to Sanctuary – Online!
WEDNESDAY, May 13
No Events today! Take an hour to read an article or listen to a webinar. Check out the list below.
THURSDAY, May 14
Join Moderator, Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston for prayer every Thursday at 9pm GMT, 5pm EDT
Bring your joys, concerns, laments, and celebrations to Rev. Cecilia and one another. Meet us on Cecilia’s Facebook every Thursday at 9PM GMT (5PM EDT/ BST 10PM) @Cecilia.Eggleston.50
FRIDAY, May 15
Friday, May 15th, 11am EDT / 3pm UTC (UTC-04)
To ALL CHAPLAINS, Far and Wide…
Whether you are serving in a hospital setting, in hospice, a prison, a school or anywhere around the world where chaplains are needed, this message is for you. We want you to know that we are grateful for you, and we are proud of you and the uniquely-MCC pastoral care you are bringing to those in need of God’s unconditional love.
In the last gatherings we learned that there is a greater desire to meet and connect. As a result, we are having bi-weekly connection opportunities to talk to others who have a unique perspective as professional chaplains. There will be two opportunities to meet every other week. The next meetings are:
Friday, May 15th at 11:00 am ET
Monday, May 18th at 5:00 pm, ET
If you would like to attend, please click on the Zoom link below.
https://zoom.us/j/97515395940 Meeting ID: 975 1539 5940
NOON Your Time – PRAY for Pastors, Pastoral Leaders, Boards, Lay Leaders and all MCC Chaplains.
Let us take time to pray for all those in spiritual leadership during these challenging times. Pray for those doing their best to offer virtual worship and various modes of congregational connection. Pray for those offering pastoral and congregational care to those in need. Pray for those offering spiritual support to healthcare workers, patients, and families. Pray for the safety of all those offering food ministries. Pray for the Boards who are dealing with church finances, church property and administrative implications of COVID-19.
SATURDAY, May 16
Spiritual Nourishment with Elder Nancy Maxwell – returns next week
Center for Disease Control (USA) Guidelines for Churches
The Associated Press reported (May 7) that the Center for Disease Control (CDC-USA) published a 17 page document “Guidelines for Implementing the Opening Up of America Framework.” It is widely reported that the Guidelines were shelved by the Administration. Here is a link to the document: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6883734-CDC-Business-Plans.html The Guidelines for Faith Communities appear on pages 7-9.
Counting Virtual Attendance
MCC has received a number of inquiries about how to count and report worship attendance during this time. Attached is a document to guide “Counting Worship Attendance in a Virtual World.” The very questions of how and what to report raises other questions about what metrics we think are important and why. No doubt we will be talking about this more as we continue to BE MCC in the virtual environment. In the meantime, please read the following document about Virtual Attendance.
(Updated: 12 May 2020)
HAVE RESOURCES TO SHARE OR RECOMMEND? Send information and links to [email protected]
Links to Articles, Webinars and Resources
New Items Added Weekly!
- An hour with Marsha Stevens-Pino! https://www.facebook.com/marsha.stevens/videos/10157213988874013/
- A song by Justin Ryan https://www.facebook.com/JustinRyanOnline/videos/10156886699715836/
- Austin Gay Men’s Chorus with Director Daniel Arredondo from UpRising MCC – This is a good possibility for Pride Month! https://www.facebook.com/danielarredondo/videos/10158391424594936/
- Check out the VLOG of Rev. Dr. Brent Hawkes. Brent is the Founder and Executive Director of Rainbow Faith and Freedom. He is also the Pastor Emeritus of MCC Toronto https://www.facebook.com/revbrenthawkes
- Online Elevation Retreat Moment with Dr. Marcia McFee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdwy_YhJ0xA&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=NoFRRVaVrp88QtDJ%3A6
These links connect you to resources or webinars by ministry related companies. The listing here does not imply an endorsement nor does it imply that they are LGBTQ+ friendly. Nonetheless, these are resources some MCC’s have found helpful.
- A Conversation: What Do Science and Data Say About the Near Term Future of Singing Click Here The National Association of Teachers of Singing, the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA), Chorus America, Barbershop Harmony Society, and Performing Arts Medical Association (PAMA) present an important webinar about the near term future of singing as we seek fact based solutions in protecting our singers, teachers, and conductors during this time.
- Webcast for Church Leaders: Caring for Souls in a New Reality, by the Barna Group, May 20th https://www.barna.com/stateofthechurch/webcast-churches/
- Here are 2 documents from the World Health Organization related to “Return to Church?”
Practical Considerations and Recommendations for Religious Leaders
Decision Tree for Religious Leaders
- Returning to Church Wisconsin Council of Churches
- Using a Small Ensemble for Your Online Worship May Not Be Safe – from Patheos
- How to Talk About COVID-19: Narratives to Support Good Decision-Making and Collective Action from TheWorkshop.org.nz
- 11 Self-Care Steps for Leaders Who Are Barely Holding On from Christianity Today
- 5 Ways the Pandemic is Saving the Church by James Emery White in the blogpost Church & Culture
- COVID-19 Response Toolkit – connected to Church Mutual Insurance
- Worship Lyric Videos with copyright permission for Streaming. No additional license needed. – Many of these do not fit our Inclusive Language guidelines.
REPLAYS OF WEBINARS
- CARING FOR ONE ANOTHER Here’s the link to this insightful webinar about our caring for one another during a time of such compound grief and loss. https://youtu.be/TuSgRH4i0uA
- RETURN TO CHURCH? In case you missed our webinar with 3 doctors discussing the concerns about gathering for in-person worship, here is the replay: https://youtu.be/1Jr0FmKBv2M
- COVID-19 and Singing, An Interview with Dr. Tim Seelig https://youtu.be/pHhgOEIsJlo
- FINANCIAL SUPPORT WEBINAR Did you miss this awesome webinar with guest Tom Melzoni from Horizon Stewardship? Here’s the link to the replay. Share it with your Treasurer and the rest of the Board.
Watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/gX3QolcY_xo
Watch on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/404785099
- THE CHURCH’S RESPONSE TO CRISIS, Parts 1, 2, 3, & 4
- VIRTUAL CHURCH – TOOLS AND TIPS WEBINAR
Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-25Be5QcCA&t=160s
HAVE YOU UPDATED OUR ADDRESS YET?
Please share with your Treasurer and Clerk of the Board
2775 NW 49th Ave. Ste: 205-327
Ocala, FL 34482