Troy and Nancy have given their whole lives as spiritual activists!
Troy Perry has spent his entire life fighting the injustices of our society and inspiring a generation of spiritual activists. Consider just some of his formidable impact:
- Serving as the chairperson of the Committee for Homosexual Law Reform (1971)
- Fasting on the steps of the Federal Building in Los Angeles, USA to raise funds and awareness to fight the Briggs Initiative (California, USA) and Anita Bryant
- Helping organize the National March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights (1993)
- Suing the State of California to recognize his and Philip’s Canadian marriage (2004) after having been the first person to conduct a same-sex legal wedding in the USA (1969)
“No longer will we remain second-class citizens, disenfranchised by antiquated laws,” said Troy. His spiritual belief in extending human rights, dignity and respect to all people led to Inclusion being one of the core values of MCC and drives his passion today for racial justice.
Nancy Wilson has been an advocate for justice throughout her pastoral ministry, ecumenical endeavors and denominational leadership.
- Pastoring a group inside a women’s prison
- Engaging in a long process to get the National Council of Churches USA to recognize MCC, resulting in our involvement in many Commissions
- Appointed by President Barack Obama in 2011 to the President’s Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, with a report of recommendations to the President “Building Partnerships to Eradicate Modern Day Slavery”
- Being a named spokesperson for Blessed Tomorrow to mobilize religious communities to address environmental concerns.
Nancy has spoken on the topics of eradicating human trafficking, a queer response to climate change, global LGBTQI human rights, racial reconciliation and economic justice; HIV/AIDS, women’s reproductive freedom, religion and social change, and marriage equality.
In the Front Lines for Justice
Troy standing in the midst of the rubble of the arsoned Mother Church, our first property, in Los Angels, California, USA.
MCC’s Moderator, Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston, says:
“This is a crucial moment/movement in the world for racial justice and equity. In MCC, we have made a commitment to include diversity and inclusion in all of our work, at every level of our denomination. We have just created a new Commission on Pathways to Healing and Justice that will focus internally on the work MCC and our churches need to do to understand and dismantle systems of racism. And, MCC is and has always been a fierce proponent of Social Justice Actions in the larger world. Right now, our churches and leaders are engaged, globally, in the public sphere to engage the specific issues of their own contexts with regard to working for racial justice and equity. We pray that this may be a time for radical transformation in us and in the world. Justice depends on it.”
THANK YOU for being Spiritual Activists for Justice and STILL GIVING!
Over 100 people from 7 countries have given over $76,500 (of our goal of $150,000) in cash and pledges so far! Won’t you consider giving or pledging a gift too?
Bishop Yvette Flunder, Presiding Bishop of The Fellowship of Affirming Ministries (TFAM) and Senior Pastor of City of Refuge, United Church of Christ, Oakland, California, USA
Rev. Dr. Brent Hawkes, C.M., Pastor Emeritus of MCC Toronto (Canada) and the Founder and Executive Director of Rainbow Faith and Freedom Movement.
LOVING YOUR SUPPORT
Every person and church who gives to this campaign (no matter the amount) will be named as one of the founders of the Endowment Fund.
Every person and church who gives to this campaign will be advancing our work for Racial Justice.
Every person who gives to this campaign (no matter the amount) will be entered into a lottery (drawing) to have a virtual Birthday Party with Troy Perry and Nancy Wilson. This one of a kind experience will be limited to 20 people. It will occur via Zoom in early August. Your donation enters you in the lottery.
Thank you for your expressions of love and support.