Resurrection MCC in Houston, Texas, USA is a vibrant 400 member congregation that is currently worshiping and offering programming online during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are a justice oriented congregation that strives to live out the core values of our denomination by putting love in action.
To advance those values, Resurrection seeks to find the right match for our open Associate Pastor position with the responsibilities of congregational engagement through managing our online and on campus (when we return) programming and pastoral care opportunities. This is a full-time position with benefits.
If you are interested in having a conversation about this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church
Director of Communications
Position Description and Purpose
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervises: All Communications Staff and Volunteer Team Leads
Part of: Executive Team and Worship Planning Team
Revised: June 15, 2021
Job Summary: The Director of Communications has primary responsibility for coordinating the creation, implementation, and marketing analytics of a comprehensive communication strategy that includes, but is certainly not limited to, social media, website, graphics, public relations, external communications, advertising and marketing, as well as our online communities including worship and programming.
- Proactively communicate, support and fulfill the mission, vision, core values, purposes and goals of the church.
- Assume a strategic role in design and implementation of RMCC’s overall communication strategy.
- Cultivate and manage volunteer group(s) of social media experts, graphic artists, podcasters, app and web developers, videographers, video producers and editors, as well as writers and editors to create content to support all methods of communication.
- Create and communicate Brand guidelines to those in leadership roles.
- Coordinate with all ministry leadership to communicate the Brand guidelines and ensure consistency. Assist with developing and adhering to standards for design, organization, and content to present a consistent message and image.
- Cultivate and communicate a coherent understanding of Resurrection MCC’s mission, vision, and values among a wide range of ministry audiences.
- Function as the primary point of contact and a key consultant to the management team regarding promotions, public relations, advertising, and media inquiries.
- Become known across diverse communities in Houston as a key voice of Resurrection MCC, to lift Resurrection MCC leaders, and to position Resurrection MCC as a known instrument of justice and equality in the local community, across the Metropolitan Community Churches denomination, and beyond.
- Actively participate to provide consulting and digital content (worship, music, marketing materials, program offerings) to our global denomination as well as local community ministry partners.
- Participates in other congregational life as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Work closely with ministry leaders, developers, creative resources and other stakeholders to gather requirements and to identify opportunities using online communication.
- Utilize available technology to advance ministry processes, operational efficiencies and support critical ministry objectives.
- Make continuous quality improvements to the process by which the communication content and channels are developed and maintained in the face of ministry growth.
- Monitor success through an established set of metrics (e.g. increased website use, shortened resolution time, user feedback mechanisms, etc.).
- Aggressively pursue the visibility of Resurrection MCC in the community at large in order to drive growth.
- Implement and maintain community events calendar to increase awareness of community networking opportunities to the staff, volunteers, and congregation.
- Recruits, mentors, and equips C&CNR staff and volunteer team leads that can facilitate the mobilization of members and friends through specific opportunities.
- Provide direct leadership to the C&CNR ministries if leadership is vacant or as needed support current leaders through administration, training, and mentoring their work as teams within the department.
- Prepare annual ministry plan and budget request for C&CNR ministries and submit to the Senior Pastor for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Make recommendations to the Senior and Executive Pastors regarding personnel; including hiring, review, salary, professional growth, and termination. Act as first line supervisor for all paid C&CNR ministry personnel and volunteers. In conjunction with the Senior Pastor, conduct a yearly review of all department related personnel.
- Act as a liaison for the church with denominational and interdenominational groups and other public appearances as necessary.
- Review all communications including press releases related to the C&CNR ministries and forward it to the Executive Team for approval of release. Advertise staffing needs, volunteer opportunities, and special events in various publications.
- Adhere to all Resurrection MCC Policies. Identify, define, and communicate operating procedures. The operating procedures should be forwarded to the Senior Pastor for approval before they become effective.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work history is required.
- Experience with MacOS, iOS, iPadOS.
- Experience with Adobe suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or Apple Final Cut Pro, Motion.
- Two years of experience in a management/supervisory position.
- A minimum of two years of experience serving as a staff member or volunteer leader in a Metropolitan Community Church or other similar inclusive faith community is required.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public at large and be a voice and face of and for Resurrection’s mission, vision, and values is required.
- Knowledge of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer community is preferred.
- Passion and aptitude for drawing others into a relationship with God.
- Active member of Resurrection MCC and consistent attendance (visible and approachable) in worship, holiday/special services, and other church events and functions.
- Acceptable background checks for criminal and credit history are required.