Resurrection MCC in Houston, Texas, USA is a vibrant 400 member congregation that is currently worshiping and offering programming online during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are a justice oriented congregation that strives to live out the core values of our denomination by putting love in action.
To advance those values, Resurrection seeks to find the right match for our open Associate Pastor position with the responsibilities of congregational engagement through managing our online and on campus (when we return) programming and pastoral care opportunities. This is a full-time position with benefits.
If you are interested in having a conversation about this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church
Position Description and Purpose
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervises: Programming, Pastoral Ministries, and Volunteer Team Leads
Part of: Executive Team
Revised: February 5, 2021
Job Summary: The Associate Pastor has primary responsibility for the planning, development, implementation, and supervision of congregational engagement through the programming and pastoral care ministries (P&PC) of the church. The Associate Pastor serves as the primary point of contact and accountability for the pastoral care team and the programming for children, youth, adult and seniors.
- Proactively communicate, support and fulfill the mission, vision, core values, purposes and goals of the church.
- Contribute to the visioning and development of spiritual growth opportunities and coordinate the planning and execution of all educational programming advancing inclusivity, community, spiritual transformation, and justice.
- Play strategic role in design, selection and implementation of RMCC’s online and on campus adult programs that include Creating a Life that Matters, discipleship courses, education workshops, Bible studies, leadership development, Women’s Ministries, Men’s Ministries, spiritual retreats, and core offerings.
- Recruits, mentors, and equips instructors/teachers/leaders that can facilitate the learning of adults and children through specific spiritual growth opportunities. This might include working with the Senior Pastor on the annual leadership retreat.
- Prepare annual ministry plan and budget request for programming and pastoral care ministries and submit to the Senior Pastor.
- Act as first line supervisor for all volunteer and paid P&PC ministry staff. In consultation with the Senior Pastor, conduct a yearly review of department staff.
- Review all communications related to the P&PC ministries and forward it to the Executive Team for approval of release. Advertise staffing needs, volunteer opportunities, and special events in various publications.
- Exercise the spiritual leadership roles of collaborative worship planning, presides in worship, preaching, and teaching. Participates in other congregational life as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Act as a liaison for the church with denominational and interdenominational groups and other public appearances as necessary.
- Adhere to all Resurrection MCC Policies. Identify, define, and communicate operating procedures. The operating procedures should be forwarded to the Senior Pastor for approval before they become effective.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field; Master of Divinity is desirable.
2. Experience in child development.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in teaching and preaching is required.
4. Ordination as clergy within the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches, or eligibility for ordination is preferred.
5. A minimum of two years of experience serving as a staff member or volunteer leader in a Metropolitan Community Church or other similar inclusive faith community is required.
6. Ability to deal effectively with the public at large and be a “face” of Resurrection’s mission, vision, and values is required.
7. Knowledge of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer community is required.
8. Passion and aptitude for drawing others into a relationship with God.
9. Acceptable background checks for criminal and credit history are required.