The National Trans Visibility March
28 September 2019 in Washington D.C. USA
by Rev. Aaron Miller, GJI/MCC Trans March Lead
Can you feel the excitement? The (U.S.) National Trans Visibility March on Washington DC is just a couple of days away! Below, you will find the schedule of events that includes how to access the ‘Virtual March’ online as of Friday, by visiting the event website.
We have had a wonderful response so far by 27 MCC churches from Alaska to the East Coast and 6 churches that will be Marching in DC, with 1 church that is marching on its own state capitol (Harrisburg, PA) at the same time! We have also received international MCC response and support – so wonderful to see as these are, of course, global issues and concerns.
So, if you are Marching…meet us at 8:30am EDT this Saturday at the location noted below (feel free to text me at 203-209-1504). The Rally begins at 9:00am with incredible speakers and followed by the March at 11am. If you are planning a Trans Empowerment Worship Service this Sunday, light a Unity Candle and say a prayer that lifts, affirms, and blesses the Transgender/nonbinary/gender nonconforming people in MCC, throughout the U.S., and globally. Send pictures! We will be capturing this historic moment shared in solidarity by MCCers everywhere.
Thank you to all who have responded, planning to participate in some way, and who deeply care about the physical and spiritual health and wellbeing of this community. Consistently, the MCC and Global Justice Institute response is action as we seek justice, equality, and mutual care for us all. We stand in the truth that God’s love is indeed unconditional and this is the Good News we are called to share in many ways.
Our shoes are laced, our Trans flags are waving, the signs are printed. We are ready…to be visible, heard, and to become a living witness to the fact that we, too, are made in God’s image and called God’s Beloved. This Saturday…and EVERY day. Amen.
MCC Churches Participating
MCC Last Frontier, Anchorage, AK
MCC of San Diego, CA
MCC Hartford, CT
MCCDC, Washington, DC
MCC Church of our Savior, Boynton Beach, FL
King of Peace MCC, St. Petersburg, FL
Suncoast MCC, Venice, FL
MCC of the Quad Cities, Davenport, IA
Open Table Dinner Church MCC, Cambridge, MA
Holy Redeemer MCC, College Park, MD
MCC Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
MCCNY, New York City, NY
MCC Eternal Joy, Dayton, OH
MCC Lehigh Valley, PA
MCC of the Spirit, Harrisburg, PA
Wichita Falls MCC, TX
MCC NOVA, Fairfax, VA
MCC Boston, Boston MA
MCC of the Palm Beaches, Palm Beach Gardens FL
MCC of the Rockies, Denver CO
MCC Boston, Boston, MA
MCC Knoxville, TN
A Church for All , North Highlands, CA
MCC of Greater St. Louis, MO
Emerald City MCC, Seattle, WA
Trinity MCC, Gainesville, FL
Central Texas MCC, Waco, TX
FirstCoast MCC, St. Augustine, FL
Following is an overview of events for the National Trans Visibility March on DC. The program schedule can also be found online on the website: https://transmarchondc.org/event-program/
- Thursday, 26 September
- 7pm-8pm EDT: Let’s Talk Trans 101–A Virtual Pastor Study with Pastors Dr. Aaron B. Wade and Adalphie Johnson of The Community Church Of Washington DC: www.facebook.com/www.ccwdc.org
- Friday, 27 September
- 12:00pm EDT: Virtual March Launch at www.transmarchondc.org (expected to be ‘live’ until noon on Monday)
- 1:30pm-5:30pm EDT at Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Richmond Hwy, Arlington, VA 22202: Community Rally Workshops (Open To Public). Schedule of workshops attached.
- 7:00pm-9:00pm EDT: Opening Reception/Torch Awards (Invitation Only)
- 10:00pm-12:00am EDT at Federico’s, 519 23rd St S, Arlington, VA 22202: Torch Awards After Party with Impulse Group DC (Open To Public)
- Saturday, 28 September
- 8:00am: First Congregational Church-UCC (945 G St NW) will serve as a hospitality location, providing coffee and bagels, as well as snack packs for marchers to take with them. They will also hold a brief prayer service before stepping off to join the March.
- 8:30am Pre-Rally Meet-up: MCC/Global Justice Institute Marchers are meeting at the corner of 13th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, at Freedom Plaza before the Rally begins. This will ensure we march together in unity and solidarity. Please bring banners from the MCC church or group you represent and your cell phones for pictures and videos!
- 9:00am-11:00am at Freedom Plaza: National Trans Visibility March on DC Rally
- 11:00am-1:00pm from Freedom Plaza to 3rd Street, Washington, DC: March
- 1:00pm-6:00pm at Trade DC (1410 14th Street NW): Post March Celebration
- Sunday, 29 September
- Attend one of the MCCDC Trans Empowerment Services (in Washington DC), held at 9am and 11am EDT or watch through live-streaming
- Host or attend a local MCC Trans Empowerment Worship Service
Note: Please follow this link:
(Updated: 26 September 2019)
for the National Trans Visibility March Safety Sheet. For questions related to this or the broader accessibility and safety plan, please contact Adalphie Johnson at [email protected]
How will you participate?
TRANS Visibility March
Please let us know how you plan to participate! We will display your name/church/city/state on the MCC and GJI websites. Email or text the details to Rev. Aaron Miller, the MCC/GJI liaison who is leading the response and action: [email protected],+1 (203) 209-1504.