Who We Are:
The Metropolitan Community Church of Washington, D.C. (MCCDC) is celebrating 49 years as a Christian Church with a special ministry to the LGBTQ+ community. MCCDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that maintains a drug- and alcohol-free workplace.
What You’ll Do:
As Operations Director, you will report to the Senior Pastor and support MCCDC’s dynamic mission and growing congregation by leading administrative and operational functions for the church.
This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring accurate record keeping, creating effective communications, managing a part-time Janitor, recruiting and supervising volunteers, along with ensuring MCCDC’s physical assets are well-maintained and protected.
To succeed in this role, you must be a creative problem-solver who can “juggle,” maintaining a realistic balance between competing priorities. You should be an exceptional communicator who can encourage and motivate unpaid volunteers.
You should also be organized, eager to learn, comfortable taking initiative, and have good judgment to make day-to-day decisions.
- Develop and oversee a network of volunteer positions to advance the church’s mission and to support office operations and building maintenance
- Plan and attend various weekly, quarterly and annual meetings: ensuring A/V is working, making sufficient copies of materials, taking detailed notes, assigning and tracking specific follow-up action items
- Promptly process incoming communications by mail, email, and telephone
- Maintain an inventory of and order replacement office and cleaning supplies
- Coordinate requests for use of church space and oversee event planning
- Supervise a part-time Janitor and prioritize their work activities
- Supervise contractors who perform maintenance and repairs on the building
- Coordinate submissions for and compile church’s Annual Congregational Report
- Update membership database and church email list
- Maintain and coordinate church meeting/event calendar
- Data entry and ongoing recordkeeping for church usage, worship service attendance and financial contributions
- Coordinate with third parties like the leasing company that manages an adjacent residential rental property owned by the church
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships
- Experience as a supervisor, coach, team builder, and team player
- Detail-oriented with excellent organization, analytical, and prioritization skills
- Able to accurately handle multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion and maturity
- Ability to work in a standard office setting and operate office equipment. Involves work in some inactive storage areas which may involve exposure to dust and requires ability to lift boxes up to 40 pounds
Ideal candidates will have:
- Experience working for a non-profit religious organization
- College degree in administration, business, communications, etc. or equivalent work or military service
- Experience with QuickBooks, Servantkeeper, and desktop publishing software
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required
- Up to 40 hours per week, compensation and work schedule are negotiable
- Benefit package includes health and life insurance, paid leave and holidays