Do you believe you are called to serve on the Moderator Nominating Committee to prepare for the election of a new Moderator at General Conference XXVII, July 2019?
Dear Members and Friends,
It is with great hope and excitement that we issue this invitation to participate in the selection of the next MCC Moderator. We, the MCC Governance Committee, are beginning one of the most important tasks before us; the formation of our Moderator Nominating Committee (MNC) for the election of a Moderator at General Conference XXVII (July 2019).
As a chartered standing committee of the MCC Governing Board, we have been given the responsibility of identifying and supporting five (5) individuals who will serve on this committee. The work of the Moderator Nominating Committee (MNC) is important to the successful nomination of qualified candidates and subsequent election of our next Moderator.
UFMCC Bylaw, Article V.C.2.a – MODERATOR states,
“MODERATOR NOMINATING COMMITTEE (MNC): The Governing Board shall appoint a Moderator Nominating Committee of five (5) persons. The responsibility of the Moderator Nominating Committee is to actively solicit candidates for the position, review any and all applications, and select up to five (5) qualified candidates. The qualified candidates shall be presented by the Governing Board to the General Conference for election.”
Members of the Moderator Nominating Committee (MNC) must have the following skills, talents, time available, and call:
- A commitment to the continuing success of MCC around the world
- A willingness to commit a significant amount of time to the process
- Flexibility to work during a variety of hours (day and night) in order to incorporate the global perspectives and input of committee members around the world.
- Ability to provide up to 20 hours per month, gradually increasing during the interview phase, for the next 15 months
- Ability to read and write conversational and technical English language
- Experience working on teams
- Ability to maintain and honor confidentiality and integrity
- Knowledge and experience leading organizations and supervising staff (optional)
- Knowledge and experience working in the local church (optional)
- Knowledge and experience in social justice advocacy (optional)
- Knowledge and experience as clergy (optional)
Are you called to serve? Do you know someone who you could recommend for this service? Please get involved or send your recommendation!
Ways to Engage
Apply – if you are called to be a part of this process, let us know! Click the APPLY NOW button and complete the application for service on the Moderator Nominating Committee (MNC) as soon as possible.
Nominate – Do you know of someone in your local church who has the kind of professional background, expertise, spiritual maturity, and commitment that we need on this Nominating Committee? Invite them to apply, forward this email and link to the application to them today!
Pray – Pray for a vibrant, substantial pool of applicants, both Laity and Clergy, from which to appoint five persons to serve on the Moderator Nominating Committee. We need your support!
Our goal is to implement the following process to appoint five (5) persons no later than 5 May 2018:
- Call for Applications – 9 April 2018
- Application due date: 5:00 pm (GMT -04:00, US Eastern time) Monday, 23 April 2018
- The Governance Committee will review all applications received.
- The Governance Committee will review applicants and conduct interviews.
- The Governance Committee will select and appoint five (5) candidates to serve on the Moderator Nominating Committee.
- The Governance Committee will send out an announcement to introduce the new Moderator Nominating Committee no later than 7 May 2018
- Moderator Nominating Committee will begin work on or about (depending on schedules) 29 May 2018.
We deeply appreciate your discernment and participation in this process!
The MCC Governance Committee
Rev. Victoria Burson, Chair
Rev. Jakob Hero-Shaw
Rev. Mel Martinez
Rev. Lori McPherson
Rev. Carolyn Mobley-Bowie
Rev. Miak Siew
Rev. Doretha Williams-Flournoy
Rev. Onetta Brooks, Consultant
Elisa Vega-Burns, Consultant
Jack Hutter, Administrative Support
Janine McCarthy, Communications