2020 Budget and Finance Narrative
Dear People of God,
Please find attached the approved MCC 2020 operational budget.
This year, The Governing Board wanted to approve and present a very conservative and realistic budget to ensure it was achievable and to continue our path towards robust financial health.
Our Accounting and Finance Coordinator (Tammy Erwin) presented the actual income and expenditure figures from 2019 to the Governing Board Finance Team as a starting point. The Finance Team spent many hours in detailed discussion around the budget to ensure we were presenting a solid and achievable budget to the Governing Board for approval.
Once the Finance Team approved, a smaller leadership team did a final pass and made some minor modifications which were sent back to the Finance Team to review and approve. The budget was presented by Chad Hobbs, Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Team to the Governing Board in our 3rd March 2020 meeting for review, discussion and approval.
The Governing Board unanimously approved the 2020 operational budget.
The Governing Board would like to thank the members of the Finance Team for their wisdom and guidance in developing this budget. The members of the Finance Team are:
Doug Berger (Church of the Trinity MCC, Sarasota, USA)
Cathy Campbell (King of Peace MCC, St, Petersburg USA)
Rev. Marsha Warren (MCC San Antonio, San Antonio, USA)
Rev. Marie Alford-Harkey (Assistant Treasurer Governing Board)
Chad Hobbs (Treasurer, Governing Board)
Tammy Erwin (MCC Staff Accounting & Finance Co-ordinator)
Rev. Kharma Amos (MCC Staff Fundraising Development & Assessments Co-ordinator)
Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston (Moderator)
Some areas to note:
- The main goal of the Finance Team and the Governing Board was to be realistic and to present a budget which does not contain unrealistic targets for fundraising.
- Anticipated assessments income is reduced from the 2019 budget, as assessment offerings from churches tend to be higher in General Conference years.
- A line for General Fundraising income has been added. This can consist of activities, such as special fundraisers, initiatives and campaigns that increase donations.
- It is good to see Increasing number of churches giving special offerings, such as Easter and Fellowship Sunday, etc. These are included in Special Offerings.
- In Expenses, a small Moderator’s discretionary fund has been added; please know that the Moderator and Governing Board are developing a policy around how this can be used.
The Senior Leadership Team (Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston, Rev. Elder Hector Gutierrez and Rev. Dr Kharma Amos) is working on a program budget. They are aware that this is not funded from our general operational budget and that any expenses will have to be covered by money raised specifically to support the program initiatives.
The Governing Board will be planning to have budget review and discussion as a topic at our next quarterly webinar to allow questions and discussion around the budget. This is currently being targeted for late June. More details will be forthcoming.
As you are aware, the current worldwide pandemic is already having an impact on finances for many individuals and organisations. The Governing Board Finance Team has already discussed contingency plans in the event of potential drop in income due to Covid 19. While it is yet too early to tell what and how much of a financial impact there might be, the Finance Team reviewed our current cash on hand and accounts payables and agreed to the following prioritization of accounts payables.
1. MCC Staff Payroll
2. Contract with the Hilton Hotel, Orlando, USA to settle the 2019 General Conference Bill
3. Audit expenses, as we continue the work to ensure that MCC is up to date with audits for all previous years’ accounts
4. Sarasota property tax liability for change of use of the office building
5. Expenses falling into the “other” category; administrative expenses
The Governing Board is expected to approve these priorities at its 7th April meeting.
Both the Finance Team and the Governing Board will be closely monitoring our income and expenses in the coming weeks and months and have further contingency plan discussions as needed.
The Governing Board would like to thank all the pastors, pastoral leaders and church treasurers who faithfully and diligently submit the assessment forms and send in the assessment offerings each month and give the Easter and Fellowship Sunday offerings with a generous heart. We are thankful for the faithful generosity of our individual supporters in the Moderator’s Circle and the commitment of the MCC staff, who continue to be effective stewards of the financial resources that are so willingly shared for our global ministry together.
If you have any questions or comments about the budget, please contact the Governing Board. [email protected]
Keeping you all in prayer,
Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston, Moderator
Rev. Elder Diane Fisher, Clerk of the Governing Board
Mark Godette, Vice Chair
Chad Hobbs, Treasurer
Rev. Alberto Nájera
Rev. Paul Whiting
Rev. Marie Alford-Harkey
(Updated: 27 March 2020)