Eligible Delegates Who Cannot Attend In Person Can Vote
On April 4-5 the Governing Board passed a unanimous email motion:
“In this season of Jubilee, eligible clergy and lay house delegates who are unable to physically attend General Conference may vote virtually for Moderator and Governing Board candidates on Tuesday, July 02, 2019. Each delegate must register for a one-day rate. Votes will be cast electronically live during the business meeting and counted with votes cast on-site at General Conference. Virtual voting require Internet access and eligible voters will be able to vote in all rounds for Moderator and Governing Board elections. When available, virtual voting may available for bylaws and/or other motions.”
As our global community culminates the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of UFMCC, the Governing Board is pleased to offer virtual voting.
Virtual Voting Steps as listed in the Procedure Handbook
- In order to cast a [virtual vote live during General Conference], eligible clergy and eligible church lay delegates, who are NOT physically attending the General Conference in Florida, USA, may register between 01 May through 01 June 2019, for all rounds of voting for Moderator, and both Governing Board Lay and Clergy candidates. And whatever other motions and/or bylaw amendments for which the handheld device is used during the business meeting. The cost of registration is equivalent to the event day rate.
- After registering, the virtual delegate will follow provided instructions to establish a secure account with the voting software vendor prior to 14 June and send your unique ID to Mike Haase <[email protected]>. Failure to do so prior to the deadline will render the voter ineligible to vote on 02 July 2019.
- On Tuesday, 02 July 2019, each eligible registered virtual Clergy and Lay House delegate will log into a unique link to stream and watch the live business meeting. The eligible delegate will also login to an established voting account so they may cast a vote cast for each round for the Governing Board and Moderator election [and other motions and/or bylaw amendments in which the handheld device is used].
- On Tuesday, 02 July 2019 at 10:15 a.m. EDT/ 17:15 GMT, the Business Meeting will convene.
- Virtual clergy and lay house delegate(s) ballots will be counted in the total ballots cast after each round for the Governing Board and Moderator election. Virtual clergy and lay house delegates will also be able to vote on motions and/or bylaws proposals whenever the handheld device is used live during the business meeting.
- Virtual voting is contingent upon access to a working internet when virtual machine technology is used. It is strongly recommended that the delegate use a desktop computer connected directly to the internet to vote and view the business meeting.
Virtual Voting Registration
Event Day Rate:
(Fee listed in USD)
$10 – Africa/Asia/Caribbean
$25 – Ibero-America/Eastern Europe
$100 – US/Europe/Australia/New Zealand
Additional Next Steps before General Conference
Go to Celebrate Business Meeting webpage (https://celebrate.mccchurch.org/business-meeting/) to review the items that will be discussed at the General Conference Business Forum on Mon, 01 July and voted on during the Business Meeting on Tuesday, 02 July.
If you are a Lay delegate, please review and prepare a presentation of the business meeting agenda topics to discuss with your congregation so you are informed on how to vote on their behalf.
Attend Upcoming Webinars
As the Governing Board prepares for General Conference, we recognize there are people who still feel harmed and/or silenced in some way. We want to listen. We may not solve all of the concerns, but we want to create a brief opportunity for you to be heard as we complete our term of office.
Please join us on Tuesday, 21 May at 7 pm EDT / 23:00 UTC via Adobe Connect for an hour. http://mccchurch.adobeconnect.com/gbwebinar/
The Governing Board will host three (3) webinars on what you need to know about the Business Forum and Business meeting and the voting process. These will be held on the following dates:
Governing Board Business Meeting Webinars
Tuesday, 04 June 2019, 11 am EDT / 15:00 UTC (English)
Tuesday, 04 June, 7 pm EDT / 23:00 UTC (English)
Thursday, 06 June 2019, 7 pm EDT 23:00 UTC (Spanish/Portuguese)
At General Conference:
On Tuesday, 02 July 2019, UFMCC will elect a new Moderator and eight members to the Governing Board.
During worship service on 04 July or 05 July, the newly elected Governing Board members will receive a rite of blessing for their new service.
During the closing worship service on Friday, 05 July, the newly elected Moderator will preach and be installed as Moderator during the Rite of Installation ceremony as described in UFMCC Bylaws Article V.E.2. – http://bit.ly/2NiYaXH.
Following the closing worship, the newly elected Moderator and Governing Board will meet during the next two days, 05-06 July, for Governing Board orientation and team building facilitated by Rev. Elder Don Eastman. These vital meetings will provide training to prepare and integrate the new members for their leadership roles. The work of the Intentional Transition Team (ITT) includes training opportunities and integration of roles prior to the elected leaders taking office.
In order to ensure a smooth transition and continue steps of integration, the outgoing Governing Board will hold its last board meeting on 25 July with the newly elected Governing Board present. At the close of the meeting a transfer of authority and responsibilities will be passed to the incoming Governing Board.
The official start date of the newly elected Moderator is 01 September 2019 (per Policy 11 in the GB Policy Handbook (https://www.mccchurch.org/governing-board/about/our-policies/). The brief overlap of employment of the Interim Moderator and newly elected Moderator in August 2019 will create an opportunity to transfer responsibilities, address questions, and pass on knowledge and ensure integration throughout the transition.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Governing Board @ [email protected]
MCC Governing Board
Rev. Miak Siew, Vice Chair
Rev. Onetta Brooks, Clerk
Rev. Victoria Burson, Governance Chair
Marsha Warren, Communications Committee Chair
Dr. David Williams, Treasurer
Rev. Elder Rachelle Brown, Interim Moderator