Update on Global General Conference 2022!
Imagine a General Conference where we, as MCC, truly live out our commitment to inclusion and justice. Where as many MCCers from around the world participate as possible, experience the strength of being in community, and share the joy of being spiritually transformed. This is the Global General Conference 2022.
A New Kind of Conference
Global General Conference 2022 is an audacious experiment in creating a truly global General Conference. Being birthed during a global pandemic, this is a moment to open ourselves up to new possibilities and opportunities. We are ALL experiencing this for the first time and learning together. Sometimes it may require moving out of our comfort zones, being willing to engage in new ways, and being open enough to see how this global General Conference allows others to be part of the experience, often for the very first time.
General Conference will take place in two phases:
To begin, our Global General Conference will take place in-person at locations around the world and also online from 1-3 July 2022.
The second part of our Global General Conference will be the Business Meeting and will take place online from 15-16 July 2022.
1-3 July 2022
In-Person & Virtual Gatherings
We are excited to announce that there will be multiple locations for in-person gatherings around the world! Through these location and online content, we will experience the diversity of our denomination – ethnicity, gender identity, age, and ability.
You may choose to travel to any site or simply participate fully online. The Core Team and local organizers from around the world have so far identified the following locations for our Global General Conference 2022:
Houston, Texas, USA
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Latin America (Outside of Brazil): Virtual Only
Locations could be added or removed depending on the COVID-19 pandemic situation. Please note: We are working with local organizers to plan a location in Africa, Europe and possibly Australia/New Zealand. Stay tuned for more information on locations and feel free to reach out to us with ideas you have!
Features of the In-Person & Virtual Gatherings:
- Globally curated worship experiences will be in-person at each location and streamed online.
- Workshops will include online presentations, in-person facilitated dialog, and chat groups to contact presenters, ask questions, or offer ideas. The online portion will be available for 6 months after the conference.
- Plenaries will be viewed in-person and online with a diverse line-up of speakers.
- In-person meals and social activities will be included at each site.
- Registrants will utilize an online app to connect, chat, and interact with all other participants gathering from around the world.
- A pre-recorded worship service will be available for all of our churches to use locally on 3 July 2022 focused around the conference theme. Worship leaders can take part in the entire in-person or online experience without needing to plan or execute their own worship service.
15-16 July 2022
Virtual Business Meeting
Features of the Online Business Meeting:
- The 2022 General Conference Business Meeting will be online only.
- Every voting-eligible church can have their pastor and delegate(s) vote, no matter where in the world they are.
- Voting will be done online and be open for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Formal and informal Business Forums will be online beginning in June 2022.
Registration for the Business Meeting will be independent from the Global General Conference 1-3 July 2022.
More Information Coming Soon!
Keep watching your emails for updated information.
Registration will open soon so be thinking about which location you want to travel to, if any!
Specific hotels or retreat centers are still being identified or in negotiation. In some locations there may be multiple housing options.
THANK YOU to our amazing General Conference Core Team, Governing Board, Council of Elders, and leaders from all over the world in helping us to re-shape and adjust our plans over the last year!
Global General Conference Core Team:
Rev. Dr. Kharma Amos
Dr. Lillian Dunlap
Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston
Rev. Elder Hector Guiterrez
Rev. Jennifer J.C. Hall
Rev. Lori McPherson
Rev. Lauren Bennett, co-chair
Mike Haase, co-chair
If you have any questions or ideas you want to share with our core team, please contact us: [email protected]
We look forward to co-creating this new way of doing General Conference with you.