Does your Church have Virtual Events, beyond Worship, to share? Invite other MCCers to join you virtually. Let us know so we can share the information. [email protected]
This Issue contains some Anti-Racism Resources and PRIDE Resources. Your contributions of resources are requested and appreciated!
TUESDAY, June 9
9pm GMT/UTC 5pm EDT
The Community Development Team welcomes special guest, MCC Moderator, Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston to Tea Time! Come share in the discussion.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 248 584 328
Tea Time will now meet twice a month so we will see you again on June 23rd.
5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern
Sanctuary’s Zoom Room: www.SanctuaryOnline.live
Cheryl will show us some easy tricks of the Zoom Room! She promises you’ll leave this session feeling confident – as we’ll practice changing our names, putting up fun backgrounds and using the animation tool to draw, add text, and “stamp!”
Curious? Don’t miss this “skill building” and informative session!
Sanctuary’s Zoom Room : www.SanctuaryOnline.live
THURSDAY, June 11
Join Moderator, Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston for prayer every Thursday at 9pm GMT, 5pm EDT
Bring your joys, concerns, laments, and celebrations to Rev. Cecilia and one another. Meet us on Cecilia’s Facebook every Thursday at 9PM GMT (5PM EDT/ BST 10PM) @Cecilia.Eggleston.50
FRIDAY, June 12
FRIDAY NOON YOUR TIME – PRAY for Pastors, Pastoral Leaders, Boards, Lay Leaders and all MCC Chaplains.
CHAPLAINS BI-WEEKLY CONNECTION CALL
3pm UTC / 11am EDT (UTC-04)
All Chaplains are welcome wherever you serve, be it in a prison, a hospital, a rehab or detox center or elsewhere. You bring a unique perspective to ministry. This time together expresses our appreciation and support.
ZOOM link: https://zoom.us/j/97515395940
Meeting ID: 975 1539 5940
- A Detailed List of Anti-Racism Resources: books, movies and more. – https://medium.com/wake-up-call/a-detailed-list-of-anti-racism-resources-a34b259a3eea
- Resources for Children. – embracerace.org
- Praying with James Baldwin in an Age of #BlackLivesMatter ” This project offers 30 days of prayers for an age of #BlackLivesMatter . It looks to author and artist James Baldwin as a guide. Over 30 days we pray with the “Last Words” of those who have been killed by racism and police violence, and we pray for the courage to take “First Steps” to change the world around us.”
- UNDOCU Guide to Dismantle Anti-Blackness at Home.
- My White Friend Asked Me on Facebook to Explain White Privilege. I Decided to Be Honest. https://www.yesmagazine.org/opinion/2017/09/08/my-white-friend-asked-me-on-facebook-to-explain-white-privilege-i-decided-to-be-honest/?fbclid=IwAR1BI5kbWnupn2HC_U-c9aPolih4HNsIjPITWM04X2CBQfSGt5jy-2G0k88
- The Color of Fear. – by Diversity Training Films is available for purchase or streaming viewing. Excerpts are also available on YouTube and might be good for sermon illustrations or small group discussions https://www.diversitytrainingfilms.com/films-2/films/
- Reading as Resistance? The rise of the anti-racism book list.
- WHAT BOOKS DO YOU RECOMMEND? Send your list to [email protected]
10 Myths White People Believe About Racism
2 different times to engage. 2 hours of guided discussion.
Offered by Mobilizing Love Ministries.
Tuesday, June 16th at 1pm Eastern – Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 812 4338 8084 Password: Justice
Thursday, June 18th at 7:30pm Eastern. Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 873 8604 9950 Password: Justice
When They See Us – Film and Discussion Series
MCC Greater St. Louis will host discussions on Mondays June 22nd- July 13th at 7:30 Central /8:30pm Eastern / 12:30am UTC (UTC-5). http://www.mccgsl.org/program-list/2020/6/22/when-they-see-us
Mobilizing Love Ministries will host discussions on Thursdays June 25 th – July 16 th 8:00-9:30pm Eastern / midnight UTC (UTC-4).
Pre-register and receive an email with the login information. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYtdO2hrzsuEtAToVJyEXy-IaBoRDuAOHhN
Join in a discussion of the four-part docu-drama miniseries “When They See Us” produced, directed and co-written by Ava DuVernay about the Exonerated 5, formerly known as the Central Park 5. Using DuVernay’s discussion guide, we will talk about issues of racism, white supremacy, law, and policing that led to 5 innocent kids being charged with and convicted of murder. Each week, watch an episode of this docu-drama (available on Netflix) then join in a guided discussion of that episode. We urge you to watch only one episode at a time and sit with it until after the discussion group. There is a possibility of a daytime discussion group if there is enough interest. Let us know [email protected]
Don’t have Netflix? MCC Greater St. Louis is offering Watch Parties and Prayer on Sunday nights at 6:30pm Central / 7:30pm Eastern / 11:30pm UTC (UTC-5)
Email Rev. Lauren Bennett for details. [email protected]
White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
A virtual book study of the book by Robin Diangelo
Wednesdays in July at 1pm EDT / 5pm UTC (UTC-04)
5 weeks x 1.5 hour sessions.
REGISTRATION LINK: http://bit.ly/RacismandMe
Participants are required to read the assigned chapters before each session. Should a group from one MCC want to participate, we can place you in a small group break out room for some of the discussions. This study is offered by the team of Mobilizing Love Ministries (an authorized MCC ministry). Should there be enough interest in an evening or weekend series, one may be scheduled. Contact [email protected] if interested in evening or weekend times.
Public Statement from Good Hope Metropolitan Community Church, Cape Town.
We declare that our church continues to stand against all forms of racism and discrimination and condemn violence. We offer our support and stand in solidarity with those taking a stand.
We don’t presume to understand the full context nor the lived experiences of those living in another country, even though there may be similarities in our own contexts.
We can, however, relate to the effects of ongoing institutional discrimination, racism as well as the racism, discrimination and violence between people that still happens today.
South Africa has her own journey in this regard and have much healing, learning, repenting and repairing still to do, and so this comes from a place of knowing, and not knowing.
We do believe in the power of action, and see the destruction of inaction. We believe in the power of prayer, that can do immeasurably more then what we can do in our human capacity. We commit to doing both, act and pray.
Your family members in South Africa.
Good Hope MCC Church Council
Rev Beulah Durrheim
PRIDE happens at different times around the world. It’s PRIDETIDE or PRIDE month in the USA. Whether you are celebrating Pride right now or not, please send us some of your Pride celebrations to share. We are looking for PRIDE Worship Resources and Virtual Pride Events. Please share them to [email protected]
Here are a few things to help your PRIDE celebrations.
- 10 of the Best Queer Documentaries to Watch for Pride Month
- Twelve Cuban Women You Should Already Know! Here is a the link to a Cuban Magazine “Alma Mater” where our MCC Clergy Rev. Elaine Saralegui is included. English readers use Google Translate. https://medium.com/revista-alma-mater/doce-cubanas-que-ya-deber%C3%ADas-conocer-4220e7323ab
- Austin Gay Men’s Chorus with Director Daniel Arredondo from UpRising MCC – This is a good possibility for Pride Month! https://www.facebook.com/danielarredondo/videos/10158391424594936/
- The Meaning of Pride – a song composed by Disciples Minister Sandhya Jha with permission for MCC use! Shared by Rev. Elder Jim Mitulski.
- A Pride Service – a service from the Unitarian Universalist community in Delaware, USA, pastored by MCC Kharma Amos – contains some great ideas and resources – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXI_r7SBpRs&fbclid=IwAR1oWFLNFcV_1-By8HXPxC9NSLdvi6qVkUIKZAaFFQzuuj8syapMZd29vpQ
- A Pride and Anniversary MCC Song A new song was written by a member of MCC San Diego for their 50th Anniversary. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and CONGRATULATIONS MCC San Diego! You can hear the new song early in the service. Catch the replay of their 50th Anniversary Celebration Worship from June 7th!
It’s PRIDE month in the USA. Here’s one fun way to celebrate right where you are! FREE 1 month Revry Premium subscription with the most unapolegtically queer movies, shows, news, originals and the largest libraries of queer music and podcasts. Use MCC’s Code C111
MCC is proud to partner with Revry who is supporting us by splitting all subscription fees (after your free month) throughout the rest of the year. Revry will also give MCC some free promotion in the coming months. Click here https://revry.tv/ and be sure to use MCC’s Code C111.
USA Churches – Payroll Protection Plan
Hybrid Church Attendance
As churches start having some gatherings in-person and continue with virtual gatherings, we will find ourselves looking at hybrid church attendance figures. It will be important to count both the people who are in-person and those who continue to attend virtually.
Consider setting up your database attendance with another service to track. Just as if you had a second (or third) Sunday morning service (or Sunday night or Saturday night for that matter), add your virtual worship services as another time and track the attendance for that service.
For your MCC monthly reports, list the multiple services, including the virtual service(s), and the attendance for each. The totals and averages will now be our hybrid attendance!
Still not sure how to count the virtual attendees? Please download and review this advisory document, “Counting Worship Attendance in a Virtual World.”
(Updated: 12 May 2020)
Your Input Sought
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! DO YOU HAVE RESOURCES TO SHARE OR RECOMMEND?
Send information and links to [email protected]
GOT AN ANNIVERSARY OR GOOD NEWS TO SHARE?
Send the information to [email protected]
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SAMPLE PRIDE SERVICES INCLUDING ORIGINAL MATERIALS BY MCCers.
Send your links or copies along with permission to share to [email protected]
In Case You Missed It
Bishop Yvette Flunder & Bishop William J Barber, II Pentecost Sunday
Greenleaf Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Goldsboro, NC, and City of Refuge United Church of Christ in Oakland, CA, were together for Pentecost Sunday! Here’s the replay of that service. https://www.facebook.com/cityofrefugeucc/videos/2370876983211223/UzpfSTEyMDY3NTIxMjY6Vks6MTk5ODEyOTc5Njk4ODU0NA/?epa=SEARCH_BOX
HAVE YOU UPDATED OUR ADDRESS YET?
Please share with your Treasurer and Clerk of the Board
2775 NW 49th Ave. Ste: 205-327
Ocala, FL 34482