Terms of Reference
Charter – June 2020
We are the body of Christ. When one part of the body hurts, the whole body hurts.
Metropolitan Community Churches was founded in the USA. Because our roots are there, the racism in American society is also present in our roots. As a global movement, we recognise that racism exists all over the world and we are committed to addressing and combatting its impact.
This Commission will set the foundation for an ongoing process of growth, development and cultural change in the areas of race equity, diversity and inclusion as a long term commitment throughout MCC.
The Commission on Pathways of Healing and Reconciliation will:
- Design and offer a pathway for individuals to move towards healing and reconciliation on elements that have fractured relationships in recent years.
- Review previous reports on diversity and inclusion, making recommendations on further work to be done.
- Receive input from existing advisory groups on how MCC can improve diversity and inclusion.
- Conduct an in depth review of MCC and its current state in relation to race equity.
- Work with the Governing Board, Council of Elders, MCC staff, church leaders and local congregations to start the process of organizational and policy change, which will embed racial equity into all areas of the denomination.
- Make recommendations for accountability mechanisms, so that the progress towards race equity, diversity and inclusion continues.
- Respond in its work to any situations or events that unfold during the time of the Commission where it relates to or impacts the work of the Commission.
- The Commission will meet primarily virtually and conduct much of its work via email
The Commission will meet initially for one year and will then. review if it needs more time to complete its key tasks.
Rev. Dr. Roland Stringfellow, MCC Detroit, USA (Co-Chair)
Rev. Elder Cecilia Eggleston, Moderator UFMCC (Co-Chair)
Rev. Cathy Alexander, MCC Staff
Ms. Clare Coughlin, Governing Board UFMCC
Rev. Jakob Hero-Shaw, MCC Tampa, USA
Mr. Richard Norman, Good Hope MCC, South Africa
Ms. Ivana Warwick, ICM Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ms. Coralis Rosario, Vision of Hope MCC, USA
For questions or to contact the commission, please email [email protected]
03 September 2020 Meeting Report – August, 2020