Myers Park Baptist Church (MPBC) in Charlotte, NC, is seeking a full-time Associate Minister who will be responsible for the leadership, vision, planning, and execution of our church’s robust faith formation and outreach ministries.
Leadership of faith formation includes responsibilities for teaching and preaching on occasion, as well as oversight of youth, children, and adult faith formation for the congregation. This includes the implementation of a comprehensive yearly adult formation series, facilitating seminars, forums, podcasts, prominent guest speakers, and supporting lay led classes, small groups, bible-studies, and book clubs. In addition, this position will also provide leadership and vision for the outreach of our church, as we work to address racial and economic disparities in our community in the areas of hunger, housing, health care, public education, and advocate for LGBTQ youth, individuals, and families.
MPBC is affiliated with the Alliance of Baptists and has been “open to all” since 1965, and officially became a welcoming and affirming in 2002. MPBC is passionately committed to diversity, inclusivity, and justice, therefore, all are invited to apply, particularly women, minority, and LGBTQ candidates. MPBC is also an ecumenical and inter-faith congregation that is home to people from many different denominations, faith backgrounds, and religious traditions.
A minimum of a Master of Divinity Degree or comparable educational qualifications, as well as five years of experience in full-time church ministry, are required. Salary range is competitive, and benefits include a three-month sabbatical every five years. Visit our website to review a job description and related documents.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Position: Associate Minister
Classifications: Full Time, Senior Staff, Exempt
Reports To: Senior Minister
Evaluation By: Senior Minister
Supervises: Director of Youth, Program Assistant, Ministry Interns, College Scholars, Outreach Volunteers
The Associate Minister provides leadership for the faith formation and outreach programs at Myers Park Baptist Church. Directs a comprehensive program for spiritual formation and Christian education for all ages. Provides vision and leadership for the adult education programs and management to the supporting program staff. Leads the outreach ministry, overseeing the outreach budget and disbursement and implementing the Church outreach programs and projects.
- Directs and leads a comprehensive program for spiritual formation and Christian education for all ages.
- Develops the vision, provides leadership and conducts a periodic evaluation of adult education programs.
- Develops and implements the annual Awakening series and works to connect learnings from the series with justice and outreach initiatives.
- Serves as a teacher and a theological and educational resource to the congregation.
- Supervises the work of the Director of Youth and performs their annual review.
- Cultivates and promotes the growth and diversity of the small group ministry.
- Assists in adult education class curriculum development.
- Designs and implements social and spiritual opportunities for young adults.
- Coordinates and provides leadership for adult educational events, outreach opportunities, and retreats for the Church and larger community.
- Provides leadership and vision for the outreach ministry including the implementation of outreach programs and projects.
- Oversees the development of the Church’s outreach budget and disbursement process.
- Assists in the planning and work of the Ministry of Faith Formation, the Ministry of Outreach, and the Servant Leadership Groups of these groups on which the Associate Minister serves as staff liaison.
- Develops and manages the Ministry of Faith Formation and Ministry of Outreach budgets and designated funds.
- Collaborates with lay leaders in the areas of Faith Formation and Outreach to accomplish strategic goals.
- Maintains content of applicable Church web pages and social media sites. Regularly promotes and produces written information for responsible areas in church communications.
- Assists with worship planning and leadership.
- Presides over Church weddings and funerals as requested.
- Serves as the staff policy owner for the Child Protection Policy.
- Attends and leads staff meetings as required.
- Participates in weekly hospital visitation as assigned.
- Serves as on-call minister on rotation.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Minister.
- Works with sensitive information involving staff and congregation and always maintains strict confidentiality.
- Ordained Minister.
- Graduate level degree in theology and/or Christian education.
- Five years of ministry experience in a medium to large congregation, preferably with an adult focus in education and/or outreach.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Excellent collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Proven creativity and innovation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership in small group development and facilitation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills.
- Committed to personal and professional development.
- Performs work under normal office conditions. Includes sitting, standing, walking and occasional bending, stooping and stretching. Repetitive wrist motion.
- Requires occasional lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Requires ability to operate typical office equipment such as keyboard, copier and telecommunication systems.
- Works in office environment, involving contact with staff and the congregation.
- Work may have multiple deadlines, interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
- Some overnight traveling is required.
Managing Vision and Purpose: Articulates and supports the vision and mission of Myers Park Baptist Church; communicates a compelling and inspired vision for the faith formation and outreach ministries; demonstrates spiritual maturity and sensitivity to others in their search for God.
Organizational Knowledge: Knowledgeable about how the organization of the Church works; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and informal networks; can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; anticipates where the Church organizational barriers are and plans an approach accordingly.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate direct reports and choir members; empowers others; invites shared input and decision making; makes each individual feel that his/her work is important.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may also perform other reasonably related duties.
I have read the above and agree to its provisions.
Employee Signature: ________________________________________________ Date: ______________